September 21 is the 264th day of the year (265th in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. There are 101 days remaining until the end of the year.
- 1745 – Battle of Prestonpans: A Hanoverian army under the command of Sir John Cope is defeated, in ten minutes, by the Jacobite forces of Prince Charles Edward Stuart
- 1792 – The French National Convention votes to abolish the monarchy.
- 1827 – According to Joseph Smith, Jr., the angel Moroni gave him a record of gold plates, one-third of which Joseph translated into The Book of Mormon.
- 1860 – In the Second Opium War, an Anglo-French force defeats Chinese troops at the Battle of Baliqiao.
- 1934 – Superpower Muroto Typhoon hit in western Honshū, Japan, Japanese government confirmed 3,036 killed. Mainly destroy temple, schools, and other buildings at Osaka.
- 1939 – Romanian Prime Minister Armand Calinescu is assassinated by ultranationalist members of the Iron Guard.
- 1942 – On Jewish holiday of Yom Kippur, Nazis sent over 1.000 Jews of Pidhaytsi (west Ukraine) to Belzec extermination camp.
- 1942 – The B-29 Superfortress makes its maiden flight.
- 1961 – Maiden flight of the CH-47 Chinook transportation helicopter.
- 1964 – Malta becomes independent from the United Kingdom.
- 1964 – The North American XB-70 Valkyrie, the world’s first Mach 3 bomber, made its maiden flight from Palmdale, California.
- 1991 – Armenia is granted independence from Soviet Union.
- 1993 – Russian President Boris Yeltsin suspends parliament and scraps the then-functioning constitution, thus triggering the Russian constitutional crisis of 1993.
- 2003 – Galileo mission terminated by sending the probe into Jupiter’s atmosphere, where it is crushed by the pressure at the lower altitudes.
- 1411 – Richard Plantagenet, 3rd Duke of York, claimant to the English throne (d. 1460)
- 1415 – Frederick III, Holy Roman Emperor (d. 1493)
- 1452 – Girolamo Savonarola, Dominican priest and ruler of Florence (d. 1498)
- 1706 – Polyxena Christina of Hesse-Rotenburg, queen of Sardinia (d. 1735)
- 1866 – H. G. Wells, English writer (d. 1946)
- 1895 – Sergei Yesenin, Russian poet (d. 1925)
- 1902 – Sir Allen Lane, British founder of Penguin Books (d. 1970)
- 1934 – Leonard Cohen, Canadian singer and songwriter
- 1947 – Stephen King, American author
- 1950 – Bill Murray, American actor
- 1951 – Aslan Maskhadov, Chechen rebel leader (d. 2005)
- 1954 – Phil „Philthy Animal” Taylor, British musician (Motörhead)
- 19 BC – Virgil, Roman poet (b. 70 BC)
- 454 – Aëtius, Roman general (bc. 396)
- 1397 – Richard FitzAlan, 11th Earl of Arundel, English military leader (executed) (b. 1346)
- 1798 – George Read, American lawyer and signer of the Declaration of Independence (b. 1733)
- 1832 – Sir Walter Scott, Scottish writer (b. 1771)
- 1860 – Arthur Schopenhauer, German philosopher (b. 1788)
- 1939 – Armand Călinescu Romanian prime-minister (assassinated) (b. 1893)
- 1982 – Hovhannes Bagramyan, Soviet general (b. 1897)
- 2006 – Boz Burrell, English rock musician (b. 1946)
Acestea is o parte din cele expuse pe wikipedia.